Pages

Monday, November 24, 2014

Life Lessons: Gratitude

Image via Pixabay

Leaving the States was by far the most difficult thing I have done in my life thus far [and I birthed a baby, people!]  That being said, being forced out of my comfort zone really has put a lot of things into perspective for me.  Since Thanksgiving is this week, it seems only fitting that I chat with you all about gratitude.

Living in another country, especially one that is still “developing,” is stressful.  I don’t live in Rio which is what I think most people imagine when they first think of Brazil.  Not every person in Brazil is living in a high rise luxury apartment in a sexy beach community.  In fact, most people in Rio aren’t even living that lifestyle.  I blame Hollywood.  Anyway, the city I live in is much smaller.  My neighborhood is predominantly made up of unfinished construction projects.  My city is one of the hottest in the state, a dry, baking heat for the better part of the daylight hours.  It doesn’t look, smell, or feel anything like home.  

After three months here, I am still struggling daily with the differences and often wishing I were home where things make sense to me.  This sometimes gets me feeling down.  In those moments, it is usually my husband who reminds me of all of the things that we have to be grateful for, which helps me to pack away my frustrations at least for a little while.  We are tremendously blessed to have a son who is both extremely happy and 100% healthy.  We have a roof over our heads and food on our table.  We have wonderful family and friends who love and support us.  We have each other.  And that’s really all you need.

When I get stuck inside my head and I’m in a really negative space, I try to start listing the things I am grateful for.  There is less space for the negativity and uncertainty when I fill it up with gratitude.  Even if you aren’t where you want to be this exact moment, professionally, romantically, or even spatially, try to remember all the things you have to be grateful for, and know that when the time is right, the rest will all work itself out too.


2 comments:

  1. Great advice, Lorin! I am really grateful for having wonderful nieces and nephews - you guys really are a blessing and I love your posts and that you are sharing your experience with us all. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love you, Lorin. I am grateful for a wise, courageous and totally groovy friend: YOU!

    ReplyDelete